Thursday, January 5, 2012

Manga Love ❤ pt. 2

And here is the final part of the list of mangas I love to re-read. Again, let me start off by listing down the basic genres in manga:

Shounen - Oftentimes about sports. Target audience would be teenage boys.
Shoujo - Love/romance stories. Target audience would be teenage girls.
Josei - Could be love/romance or drama. Target audience would be young female professionals.
Seinen - Usually slice of life stories, psychological drama, etc. Target audience would be young male professionals.

If you still haven't seen the first part and would like to, go here -> Manga Love ❤ pt. 1. Otherwise, here we go!

(Not in any particular order)

Mekakushi no Kuni
(Completed Series) / Shoujo
by: Tsukuba Sakura

Mekakushi no Kuni is the story of high school student Outsuka Kanade who can sometimes see a person's future with a touch, and transfer student Naitou Arou, whose ESP is limited to past events. When Kanade glimpses an unfortunate incident coming, can she change it? She soon befriends Arou, who's no novice. While Kanade's power is limited to the near future and is somewhat uncontrollable, Arou's is permanent and he can even use it to see an object's 'memories.' Are these teenage seers of the past and future made for each other? And who's right: Arou with his 'hands off' policy about meddling in people's lives, or Kanade whose more proactive stance has already had unhappy consequences. - (Summary from Baka-Updates)

I like this manga because the main character isn't a pushover. Pushover heroines are such a drag. There are a lot of mangas that have strong female characters, don't get me wrong. But there are a lot with poor ones too. Anyway, another reason why I like this manga is because the plot's pretty simple but interesting all the same. I've seen a lot of stories with the protagonist having a super power that enables them to see the future but it's rare to come across one who can see the past. Or maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places. 

---

Shuukatsu!! - Kimi ni Naitei
(Completed Series) / Josei
by: Yoshino Aki

As we all know, life isn't always sweet. For Asaoka Yuuri, that is definitely the case. Having failed forty-nine job interviews, she is determined to at least pass the next one. But alas, on the next job hunting escapade, she encounters Manabe Ryouji, a famous guy from her university. As far as first impressions go, this is horrible. Determined to not like Ryouji since then, Yuuri finds herself in trouble when she starts to get attracted to the man who can seem to do everything so well to the point that it gets annoying. Let's not forget he looks incredibly cool too. What's Yuuri going to do now?

A story about job hunting with some romance on the side. The reason I find this interesting is because it's easy to relate to the characters. The conversations they have seem natural and real. In fact, I've had or heard conversations between my friends that go along the lines of what they talk about in this manga. Kinda like it anyway. Occasionally, I like reading stories that are toned down from all the action and unrealistic situations that these kinds of stories become a much needed break. 

---

Mars
(Completed Series) / Shoujo
by: Souryo Fuyumi

Aso Kira is an introverted artist who thinks that all men are dirty. Kashino Rei is a devil-may-care playboy who rides motorcycles on the professional circuit and dreams of becoming a professional racer one day. A chance encounter between the two lead to a set of events that bring them closer together. However, with their dark pasts threatening to resurface, will they be able to overcome them or will they end up more broken and scarred than when they first met?

This manga often gets mixed reviews. Critics love it but some readers hate it. Maybe because of the underlying tension in the story. Mars is a manga heavy on drama what with it having topics such as child abuse, bullying, sociopath tendencies, and even murder. It's a heavy story to read and can even get gloomy now and then. Why do I like it then? Because it's so gritty. Sometimes, it even makes me nervous to read it. I find some of the characters bizarre and downright freaky but that's what attracts me to the story anyway. Mars is definitely not for everyone but if you think you can stomach something a bit dark and heavy, go and read it. 

---

Kekkaishi
(Completed Series) / Shounen
by: Tanabe Yellow

Sumimura Yoshimori has often been called lazy what with him sleeping in class the whole day. Add to that his odd attachment to milk coffee and his obsession with baking, then you got yourself an odd junior high student. Of course, that's not all there is to it. Yoshimori is actually a demon-hunter called a 'kekkaishi' by night. Chosen to protect a dangerous land called Karasumori, Yoshimori fights these ayakashi with the use of the special technique that his family inherited. However, he is not alone in this task. Yukimura Tokine, his childhood friend, also comes from a family appointed to protect Karasumori. The catch? The two families are in the middle of a feud with each other. 

As I was researching this manga for this post, I found out that Tanabe Yellow is actually a woman! It was a wonderful surprise. All this time I've been reading this manga over and over and I didn't even know that a woman wrote/drew it. It's inspiring. Even the next manga I'm going to be posting is done by a woman. But, before that, let me just point out what I like about Kekkaishi. To put it simply...everything. The art, the characters, the unique way they use their powers - I love them all! I'm a sucker for a decent supernatural story and this, I think, is one of the best.

---

Full Metal Alchemist
(Completed Series) / Shounen
by: Arakawa Hiromi

In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical 'auto-mail' limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking one thing that can restore his brother and himself...the legendary Philosopher's Stone. - (Summary from Baka-Updates)

This manga will forever be one of my favorites. Even the anime version of it - Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - was amazing. It really is the first story I've ever read where I liked the lead protagonist, Edward Elric, from start to finish. Of course, let's not forget his brother Alphonse too. The political intrigue too was amazing. I love a good political conspiracy. Add to that the amazing use of characters and alchemy in the story and I really got hooked into it. A definite re-read material.

---

Beck
(Completed Series) / Shounen
by: Harold Sakuishi

All Tanaka Yukio's ever been in his fourteen years of life is boring. He doesn't have a hobby, doesn't really have any friends, has lackluster taste in music, and his neurotic personality leaves even himself irritated. As much as he wants to have an exciting life, his overall shy demeanor always gets in the way. With a bleak outlook in life, how could he have known that a chance encounter with an unpredictable sixteen-year-old fresh from America named Minami Ryusuke, who is part of a rock-and-roll band, would change the rest of his life? 

I remember when this reached the peak of its popularity a lot of my friends started to dream of making their own band. Some of them even bought new electric guitars and started practicing like crazy. You know a manga/anime is good when it's audience start to imitate the characters in it. Even as I read through this manga and can't hear the songs they're playing, just imagining just how great they sound keeps me coming back to this manga. The fact that it took so long for Beck to become famous in the story can get frustrating but the end result more than makes up for.

---

Vahlia no Hanamuko
(Complete One-Shot) Shoujo
by: Akizuki Sorata

An agreement between two clans lead to the engagement of their eldest children, Jiru, seventeen-years-old, and Vahlia, ten-years-old, that will be fulfilled in seven years when their wedding will take place. However, two years into the agreement, Jiru suddenly disappears. Since then, five years have gone by but the agreement must be carried out. Instead of Jiru, his younger brother must take his place. Unsatisfied with how things are playing out, Vahlia decides to take matters into her own hands. She is going to look for Jiru and finally set matters straight!

I've read a lot of one-shots but this one is just extremely'kilig.' There are no other words I could think of to describe it. What I like about a successful one-shot is that you don't need too much information to get the story across and yet still end up feeling satisfied once the story actually ends. This one did just that. The only complaint I have with this is that I wish the story was a tad longer because the characters are just lovable. You never know. The mangaka might just be so kind. 

---

There it is! Finally, the second part is done. I still have so much more mangas I'd like to share but I'll leave that on another post. Not anytime soon mind you. This two part entry has gotten my head a bit fried. Oh my poor dwarfs...you all have worked so hard (Confused about the dwarfs comment? Read this.). Someday, I'll make a post about the mangas I'm currently reading and also the animes I love watching. Until then, I'll be here fixing some of my stuff and being completely OC about my new planner. 

Anyway...

後でお会いしましょう!

No comments:

Post a Comment