Thursday, November 1, 2012

Just Write!

Sometime ago I attempted to write for the NaNoWriMo challenge which ended in failure. It was interesting and fun but I was kinda disappointed that I wasn't able to finish 50k words of written work in one month. The fact that I have so much plots and sub-plots cluttered in my brain being left unused seem like such a waste. I actually have about three stories that I itch to write about but I end up mixing up characters and wondering if this person would work better in this other story or vice versa. Of course, in the end I ditch everything and start from the beginning.

One thing useful I learned was this: "Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front."

That quote is from Emma Coats, a former story artist from Pixar. That's a big problem for me. I get so excited about the characters that I end up not being able to find an ending for the story I'm plotting out. It's great to love your characters but you can't really focus only on them.

That aside, here's to me fleshing out a set of characters, focusing on one story for the time being, and painfully eliminating certain scenarios that I love but aren't really working out.

Time to write!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment